Areas of Expertise
Knowledge and Experience Make a Difference
Deena McMahon is a St. Paul, Minnesota, licensed independent clinical social worker with significant experience and expertise in the following areas:
- Adoption Dynamics Ms. McMahon is recognized as a national expert on adoption issues from the viewpoint of both parents and children. She is experienced in cases involving childhood trauma, sexual abuse, Reactive attachment Disorder and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
- Childhood Trauma Ms. McMahon specializes in addressing the short- and long-term problems that children experience after being exposed to multiple and/or severe traumas.
- Childhood Sexual Abuse With early intervention, children who have been sexually abused can, more often than not, go on to lead very positive lives.
- Attachment Therapy For children who have experienced multiple disruptions, neglect, abuse or loss of family, Ms. McMahon offers strategies geared toward repairing the relationship between the parent and the child and facilitating the child’s ability to trust.
- Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) Ms. McMahon has served as a qualified expert witness under the Indian Child Welfare Act. She has worked with children and families from numerous Native American tribes throughout the U.S. and in Canada.
- Grief and Loss Ms. McMahon became interested in the area of treating grief and loss issues as a result of the death of her infant son in 1989.
- Custody and Parenting Time Disputes Because these disputes can be extremely difficult for children, Ms. McMahon focuses on helping all parties involved view the situation from the child’s perspective.
- Domestic Violence Ms. McMahon performs evaluations of families in response to safety concerns. She assists in case planning and often does primary treatment with one or both parties.
To discuss your needs with an experienced and respected mental health professional, contact McMahon Counseling and Consultation Services, LLC.