Informative Presentations & Trainings
Deena McMahon is a licensed independent clinical social worker who has spoken on a variety of mental health topics to a wide range of groups of parents and professionals in Minnesota and throughout the nation. Her presentations are well received because they provide real world examples from her own practice as well as information on the latest research in the field.
"I take pride in being able to communicate complex ideas in clear, compelling language that educates, empowers and entertains. Theory is interesting, but people need to know what to do tomorrow."
— Deena McMahon, MSW, LICSW
Top venues include:
- Keynote speaker at the Minnesota state judges conference and regional CJI conferences, "Impact of Abuse and Neglect on Childhood Development"
- Keynote speaker at state conferences for foster parents and Guardians ad Litem
- Presentations for state human services department meetings in Florida, Connecticut, Arizona, Mississippi and Michigan
- Connecticut state permanency planning conference
- Conferences on mental health diagnosis and treatment
- "Adoption Competency for Mental Health Professionals," an all-day pre-workshop conference with Dr. Gregory Keck from the Ohio Treatment Center at North American Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC)
- A four-part series on attachment with the University of Minnesota Center for Excellence for Children’s Mental Health
- Keynote speeches for organizations in California and Ohio
- Minnesota Family Lawyers Conference, "Impact of Disruptions in Childhood and Negative Impact On Their Mental Health"
Mental health professionals appreciate that Ms. McMahon provides effective tools they can take home and use in their own work. She focuses on hands-on approaches based on her own work in the field.
Some of her trainings have been adopted by the Minnesota Department of Human Services as best practice protocol. These include trainings on transitioning kids in care and placement considerations in finding good matches in adoption.
Whether you need a speaker to address a group of adoptive parents, mental health professionals, attorneys or other interested groups, please contact McMahon Counseling and Consultation Services in St. Paul, Minnesota.